Burns Musical Premieres in Scotland
A musical about the life and work of Robert Burns had its world premiere in Aberdeen in January. Robert Burns The Musical is based on an idea that entertainer Michael Jackson and Hollywood producer David Gest developed in the 1990s. The show opened at the Tivoli Theatre in Aberdeen, January 25, 2015. Tish Tindall of the Rock Academy Performing Arts (RAPA) in Lossiemouth, Scotland, developed the musical around Burns’ life and the materials developed by Jackson and Gest.
- Robert Burns The Musical – Premiere. 25 January 2015. Robert Burns World Federation. http://www.rbwf.org.uk/events/robert-burns-the-musical-premiere/
- See also: https://www.facebook.com/robertburnsthemusical
“Kelpies” Statues Rise High Above Scottish Landscape
Two immense horse-head sculptures – made from stainless steel and rising around 100 feet above the Scottish landscape – stand in a “greenspace” recreation area near the M9 highway in central Scotland. The “Kelpies” (named for mythical water beasts), were unveiled in April 2014 at The Helix development in Falkirk, Scotland. The sculptures are by Glasgow artist Andy Scott.
- Source: William Hageman, Tribune Newspapers, in The Baltimore Sun, August 17, 2014
- “The Kelpies Tour,” from The Helix website: http://www.thehelix.co.uk/things-to-do/the-kelpies/
- Andy Scott’s “The Kelpies” website: http://www.thekelpies.co.uk/